Friday, February 23, 2007

Rest in Peace, DJ

Sad news today from the NBA. The Associated Press reports:

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Dennis Johnson, the star NBA guard who was part of three championships and teamed with Larry Bird on one of the great postseason plays, died Thursday, collapsing after his developmental team's practice. He was 52.

Johnson, a five-time All-Star and one of the top defensive guards, was part of the last Boston dynasty. He spent 14 seasons in the league and retired after the 1989-90 season. He played on title teams with the Celtics in 1984 and 1986 and with the Seattle SuperSonics in 1979, when he was the NBA finals MVP.

Johnson was a favorite teammate of Bird's, and the two were part of one of the most memorable plays in Celtics history. During the fifth game of the 1987 Eastern Conference finals against Detroit, Bird stole Isiah Thomas' inbounds pass under Boston's basket and fed Johnson, who drove in for the winning layup. Boston won the series in seven games but lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA finals.

"Dennis was a great player, one of the best teammates I ever had, and a wonderful person," said Bird, now president of the Indiana Pacers. "My thoughts and condolences are with his family at this difficult time."

That's DJ in the picture (no. 3), with Bird behind him to the right. Before the Toronto Raptors ever were, I was a die-hard Celtics fan. I support the Dinos now, but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Men in Green.

Dennis Johnson was part of what I consider the greatest team in NBA history - the 1985-86 Celtics. Bird. McHale. "The Chief". DJ. Ainge. Come on. I'd throw them up against anyone - even Jordan's best Bulls squad - and take my chances. Bird was, and remains, my favorite player of all time (although Nash is closing quickly), and I'll always have fond memories of DJ and his Reeboks, which were just getting big in North America at the time (Speaking of fresh kicks, I tried to get my folks to buy me a pair of Converse Weapons that year, to no avail).

Probably the first basketball game I ever saw on TV was the double-overtime game between DJ and Bird's Celtics vs. a young Michael Jordan's Bulls in the first round of the 1986 playoffs. I have vivid memories of Dick Stockton and Tommy Heinsohn's CBS call in the steambath that was the old Boston Garden.

What most everyone remembers about that game was that Jordan went for a playoff-record 63 that night. What almost no one remembers is that the Celtics won the game. And the series. And, eventually, the championship. They were the greatest team ever. And Dennis Johnson was a big part of it. Rest in peace, Number 3.

No comments: