Friday, March 23, 2007

Footwashing and Ordination

Over at his Lumen Gentleman Apologetics website, Jacob Michael has posted a very interesting article suggesting a link between the footwashing scene in John 13 and ordination:

The thirteenth chapter of St. John's Gospel relates the story of the Last Supper in the Upper Room. However, where the Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke) take this opportunity to record the details of the Supper itself, along with the Words of Institution and the offering of Jesus Christ under the species of bread and wine, the Fourth Gospel does not record these events. Instead, St. John records the story of Jesus washing the feet of His disciples.

What did St. John see in this event that was so important that he felt it necessary to record these actions over and above the actions surrounding the First Mass itself? It will be my contention in this essay that the footwashing recorded in St. John's Gospel is in fact a veiled allusion to the Sacrament of Holy Orders, and that the washing of the disciples' feet symbolically marks their transition from being mere disciples to being priests of the New Covenant.

You can read the rest here.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. You can post your comments below.

2 comments:

Vixen said...

Cale - Great Insight! I appreciate the lesson. I've been Catholic my entire 35 years and still I enjoy re-learning. All those years of Catholic School went in and out of my brain.

Cool Blog...I'll be back...

Cale Clarke said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Pinky! Glad you're enjoying the blog...believe me, I'm learning just as much as anyone! As Cardinal Newman's motto said, "growth is the only evidence of life". Stay on the journey my friend, and check back often!

Pax,

Cale