Friday, March 2, 2007

A Not-So-Fabio-lous Coincidence

On Tuesday night I gave a talk to a bunch of engaged couples as part of their pre-marriage class. I was sharing my deep wisdom forged in the crucible of my extensive (almost two years now!) experience as a married man. Or something like that.

I spent some time joking around about women who tend to be swept away into the unreal world of soap operas and Harlequin romance novels. You know the ones - they always have that so-called hunk, Fabio (pictured), on the cover (I could beat him up!), blond mane flowing, riding a steed across the beach to swoop a lucky lady up into his arms, and taking said maiden to - well, paradise, I guess.

Anyways, I gave them my lame Fabio impersonation, and I must have referenced the guy about 10 times throughout the talk as an example of an unrealistic idea of a spouse.

At the end of the night, a guy who was sitting in the front row shook my hand and said, "Great presentation, man. Really enjoyed it." I said, "Thank you so much! That's really encouraging. What's your name?"

"Fabio."

My jaw dropped. "Yeah", he said, "My name came up a lot tonight." I broke into a sweat. I thought, "Here we go...he's ticked!"

But he was actually a really cool guy - he was only pulling my leg. "No worries, man!", he said. "You didn't know!"

Whew! What a relief! I thought I was gonna have to pull out my Tae Kwon Do skills, there (actually, I don't have any, but I have seen a few Jean-Claude Van Damme movies).

That was a close one!

No comments: