Sunday, April 22, 2007

It's Earth Day and I'm Back!

Hello, Faithful Readership!
I know that some of you were probably wondering if I'd fallen off the face of the earth, seeing as how I haven't blogged in so long.

Last week was one of the craziest weeks I've ever had...I was giving retreats for high school students, and had virtually no time to myself. But now I'm back with a vengeance! There will be blogging galore from here on out, and I promise I'll make up for lost time.

Speaking of falling off the face of the earth, today is Earth Day! So, why not celebrate like I do - by treating other folks like dirt!

Just kidding, of course. I have no problem with those who want to care for God's creation, as we all should.

But I often find it strange that those who are most concerned about saving the physical creation are often those least concerned about saving the crowning achievement of God's creation, the human person.

This attitude is typified by politicians like NDP leader Jack Layton, who was out riding his bike in Toronto today promoting Earth Day. He is passionate about being "green", yet at the same time, he is a staunch advocate for the destruction of human persons through abortion.

Father Frank Pavone, the founder of Priests for Life, was at the bedside of Terri Schiavo, as she was being starved to death not long ago in Florida. Terri was being euthanized by the order of a judge. Her only "crime" was that she could not feed herself, so she was fed through a tube.

Terri's food and water supply was cut off, so she died of starvation and dehydration: a long, painful process that she consciously experienced. No one would destroy even a dog in this manner; in fact, if one did, our enlightened society would likely insist such a one serve a prison sentence.

Father Pavone placed his hand on Terri's forehead to pray for her, and as he did so, his hand brushed a vase of flowers that someone had sent her. The vase was full of that which had been denied Terri - water. The flowers were allowed to drink deeply and live, but Terri was not.

How tragic. My friends, of course we should care for the environment. But if we're more concerned with saving the whales than saving people - or worse, if we want to save the whales while assenting to the destruction of people - then we have failed miserably at our task. As Jesus once said about other matters, we should have done the former without neglecting the latter.

No comments: