Thursday, April 5, 2007

Masters Week in The Master's Week


It's absolutely diabolical that my favorite golf tournament, The Masters, is taking place in Holy Week, the true Master's Week.

The links action gets underway today among the famous azaleas at Augusta National. And, having proved quite the prophet regarding my Final Four picks, I'm sure you're all waiting with bated breath for my announcement of who'll take the year's first major.

Drum roll, everyone!

The winner will be....Tiger Woods.

I know, I know: he's everybody's pick. I'm not exactly going out on a limb here, but how can you not take him, even given the choice of him or the field? By the way, if El Tigre can pull it off, taking his fifth Masters, he'll be 3/4 of the way home to a second Tiger Slam, holding all four major championships at once. I predict that he'll win in a Sunday showdown with "Lefty", Phil Mickelson, with whom Tiger has split four of the last five Green Jackets.

The other one went to Canada's own lefty (and my favourite golfer), Mike Weir, in 2003 (pictured here with Tiger, just before Woods would slip the Green Jacket over Weir's shoulders). Unfortunately, Mike's struggled for consistency of late, as he adjusts to a new swing coach. But he always seems to perform well at majors - Augusta especially. He's my dark horse pick.

And don't forget about Canada's other star (and currently our best golfer): Stephen Ames. Ames blew away the field at last year's Players' Championship, the PGA Tour's unofficial "fifth" major, was great in this year's Match Play tournament, and says he's now hitting the ball better than he ever has, under the watchful eye of his own new coach, Sean Foley.

Now I just have to figure out a way to watch the final round during the Easter family dinner at my in-laws'. That might be tougher than winning the Masters itself!

No comments: